Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Red HANDS DIARY

Bob has finished cutting a rough pass on episode 11. Looks cool. I gave notes. Basically I don't want this movie to look conventional. Conventional is last years news. Conventional is dead. You can have a movie edited in a progressive exciting way without having it be all arty and self-conscious. I told Bob to check out the first 30 minutes of Killing Zoe, which has some fantastic "one character" editing. Really creates some cool tension and gives the scenes a very tactile feel.

Our director, Ed, doesn't seem to be happy with the choices I've made, and I totally understand that. He came up with some amazing visuals, which I now want to cut back on for the sake of character and perspective. I've suggested we cut a version off my notes and then do one from his. I think it'd be fun to then show both versions at the first official Mongrel party -- to be held at a cool bar in Silverlake -- and have the audience vote on what they respond to more. There are no problems, only opportunities.

If Bob actually watches Killing Zoe, he'll see what I mean and then everyone else will see that my version is the hot hot shit. Bob is moving super fast so I'm sure I'll get to see something again in a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment