Friday, January 2, 2009

RED HANDS Production diary

Thank you to all you good readers who let me know about how awful my color choices for this blog were. I thought red on blue looked really cool, but apparently it’s really hard to read. Wouldn’t want that!

Here’s the plot for the movie RED HANDS: A delusional young man who thinks he’s a secret agent finds himself somewhere just off of the dark side of Americana, and starts randomly stalking two old men who he doesn’t realize are committing murder and insurance fraud. At the same time the young man becomes romantically entangled with a prostitute who, as it turns out, is also attempting to blackmail the old men. Things quickly become even more sordid, twisted and ultimately violent.

RED HANDS, as I mentioned before is intentionally being made for $30,000. The point of keeping the budget so miniscule to is to prove that, given new equipment and the internet, there is now an alternative to the Hollywood and Independent film production paradigm. I’ve already raised about $5,500 which as I also mentioned we’ll spend filming three sections of the script this January, which we’ll use to help raise the rest of the budget so we can complete the rest of the movie this spring/summer. If you’re interested in helping with the financing please contact me here or at pacificvagrant@gmail.com. A minimum of $500 per financer is requested, but I’ll happily take whatever you want to contribute. Does this sound grassroots? You bet it is.

Another way I’m trying to raise money is through a spoken word/performance monologue I’ll be undertaking later this winter and spring throughout these United States. Just finished the first draft of this monologue last night. About twenty pages so far. It’s pretty good, I think – never really done anything like this before. The idea was to tell some of my personal adventures in the Hollywood/Indy world and then share some insights and information about to this new alternative movie-making paradigm. Inspire and delight and get creative folks to realize they can now make mainstream quality movies for the price of a used car. Now every city can have it’s own version of Hollywood – if they want it. I’ll need to do another pass and then hopefully the monologue will be ready to show to Kevin Stack (of Gorch Fock and many other fine bands) who’s graciously agreed to make music for the show.

I’m supposed to have drinks with another potential investor this weekend and I can’t wait. At this stage in the game I just love love love getting jazzed talking to people about RED HANDS, about what we’re trying to do. If you take large amounts of money out of the creative equation, what are you left with? Creativity. People, artists and those who support the arts are really getting it. It’s great. It’s feeling like the sort of media culture I’ve always wanted to be involved with.

1 comment:

  1. I eagerly anticipate the phenomenal success of RED HANDS. I consider it a privilege and pleasure to be among the talent that you've selected to contribute their skills and dedication toward RED HANDS' inevitable precedent setting impact on filmmaking in particular, and the industry at large. Indeed, 2009 is a great year for all fortunate enough to be involved with this project--both creators and recipients.

    ReplyDelete